Tender green beans, braised in a tomato-olive oil sauce. Flavour-packed, satisfying, vegetarian, and gluten-free.
- Category: Sides
- extra virgin olive oil
- lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper
- 500 gms green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- 1 can peeled chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- In a Casserole dish with a lid, heat ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until tender, stirring occasionally (about 5 mins). Then add the garlic, and oregano. Cook another 2 mins, stirring regularly, until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, water, bay leaf, and beans. Season with salt and pepper. Raise the heat and bring to a high simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cover and cook until the sauce slightly thickens, and the beans can easily be cut with side of your fork; about 20 minutes. (It\'s a good idea to check once partway through cooking, add a little bit of water if needed.)
- Remove the lid and stir in 2 tbsp lemon juice and chopped fresh parsley. Stir in a generous drizzle of olive oil.