Feeding fussy young eaters is always a challenge and especially feeding them veggies! In this delicious homemade (no packets here) mac and cheese I’ve added a creamy cauliflower bechamel sauce that lifts it to another level and is so yummy! Make it fun by changing the macaroni pasta to shells-shaped pasta or spiral-shaped pasta. Any of these shaped kinds of pasta will soak up the creamy delicious sauce. Enjoy 🙂
- Category: Main Meals
- 1 cup mixed parmesan and cheddar cheese, grated
- 500 gms dried pasta ie. macaroni, shells, spirals
- 1/2 cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 90 gms butter
- 100 gms plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and Pepper
- Put a pot of water to boil, then add the pasta, stirring often until cooked.
- While the pasta is cooking make the sauce.
- Chop up the cauliflower and add some water and cover with a plate. Pop this in the microwave for 8 minutes. Alternatively, you can steam the cauliflower in double pot with a steamer basket.
- In a medium-sized pot add the butter and flour and stir until a paste forms, then slowly whisk in the milk.
- Bring the milk mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer stirring it until it thickens - approx 8 minutes.
- Take the pot off the stove and set aside.
- Strain the cauliflower and add it to the milk mixture.
- With a handheld stick blender or a potato masher, blend the cauliflower into the sauce until its nice and smooth.
- Add the sauce to the strained pasta and stir until combined.
- Optional to put this mac and cheese into a baking dish with a sprinkling of parmesan, a little extra butter and cracked pepper. Bake in a hot oven until it browns, approx 10 minutes
- Otherwise its ready to serve straightaway. Enjoy!