A really simple, tasty, and healthier version of Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) flavours we have grown to know and love. It will surprise you just how quickly you can whip this up and the flavours are so similar to the original recipe but without nasty trans fats.
- Category: Main Meals
- 1 kilogram chicken thigh fillets
- 1 cup buttermilk or make your own*
- olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon Masterfoods Roast Chicken seasoning
- 9 teaspoons Masterfoods dried Italian herbs
- 3 teaspoons dried chives
- 4 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 teaspoons paprika
- 1 cup gluten-free plain or regular plain flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, combine the chicken thigh fillets with the buttermilk and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- *If you don't have buttermilk, combine 1 cup whole milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice and wait for 5 minutes before adding to the chicken.
- Combine all your dried herbs and salt and pepper in a medium size bowl. You will need 1/4 cup of this mixed seasoning for every 1 cup of flour. You can store the remaining seasoning in an airtight container.
- Add the flour to the bowl with the herbs and combine well.
- Spray olive oil onto the airfryer rack then Preheat the airfryer to 200 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge.
- Coat each chicken piece with the seasoned flour ensuring they are completely covered.
- Repeat with the remaining pieces of chicken. You may need to cook the chicken in batches if they don't all fit.
- Place onto the airfryer rack and spray the chicken with olive oil spray.
- Cook for 20 minutes at 200 degrees, turning them over at the 10-minute mark.
- You can keep them warm in the oven until ready to eat by placing them on an oven rack with a tray underneath and setting the oven to 90 degrees celsius. This will ensure they will stay crisp whilst keeping warm.
- Serve with a fresh salad or airfried sweet potato chips.
- Note: You can swap the chicken thigh fillets for chicken breast but will need to reduce the cooking time to 12-15 minutes. If swapping for chicken pieces with bone ie. drumstick, thighs, wings, cook for 20 minutes then check if the meat is white and the juices run clear. If not, continue to cook for another 5 minutes at a time until cooked through.