Make a batch of these for the week and you’ll have a “grab-and-go” breakfast muffin that not only satisfies but also has a power pack of nutrients. They include Oats which contain polyphenols, known for the protection of heart disease, stroke, type-2 diabetes, and obesity. MCT oil (medium-chain triglycerides) is excellent for fat-burning; Almonds loaded with good fats and protein; and Bananas which are high in potassium which your body needs to help your muscles contract, maintain fluid balance, and maintain normal blood pressure. They will stay fresh in an airtight container for up to 3 days or can be frozen in a freezer-proof container.
- Category: Breakfasts
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or MCT oil
- 3 medium, very ripe bananas (a little over 1 cup)
- 140 grams no fat, no added sugar, greek yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 ¾ cups oatflour or rolled oats*(make your own oatflour see below)
- 1 ¼ cups rolled oats
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar-free maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 small banana, sliced into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Coat a standard, 12-muffin pan with nonstick spray or oil.
- Peel bananas and add to a large mixing bowl. Using a sturdy whisk or fork, mash bananas until smooth. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, eggs, milk and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- *Grind the 1 3/4 cup oats into a high-speed processor (if using whole oats) until it resembles flour then add to another bowl (or alternatively use oat flour) with the 1 1/4 cup rolled oats, almond meal flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together with the wet ingredients until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Be careful not to overmix, as doing so will result in tough muffins.
- Pour batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan. Scatter the sliced banana onto each muffin then sprinkle the muffin tops with rolled oats and almonds.
- Bake for 22-26 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.