Make this seriously good Pork Roast and super crunchy crackling, it will not disappoint. Just 4 ingredients, pop it in the oven and you’ve got yourself a delicious main dish.
- Category: Main Meals
- 2 kilograms deboned Pork Shoulder with Skin on
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Remove all plastic wrap from the pork and lay it out flat in a tray, rind-side up and uncovered.
- Remove pork from the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before roasting to allow it to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 240°C
- Use a sharp knife to score the rind in 1-inch intervals. Thoroughly pat the skin dry with paper towels.
- Turn pork skin-side down. Rub garlic powder and about 1 teaspoon of salt into the meat underneath. Drizzle the olive oil over the pork rind and the meat, rubbing it in with your fingers for best results (if you need more oil, add more). Season the rind with a generous amount of sea salt (about 1 tablespoon).
- Transfer pork to a roasting dish and roast for 50 minutes, or until the rind crackles. Reduce temperature to 180°C and continue roasting for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, depending on how well done you like your roast.
- Increase the oven temperature back up to 230°C. Roast for 10 minutes until the rind has turned into an amazing golden crackling and the pork is cooked through.
- (To check if the pork is cooked, pierce the thickest part of the meat with a knife. If the juices run clear, the pork is cooked. Alternatively, pork is cooked when the thermometer shows 71°C.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.